D. O. Pearson House, Stanwood
(National Register of Historic Places).
The D. O. Pearson House was the home of the first mayor of Stanwood. He arrived in the area when it was still called Centreville and established the town’s first general store in 1877. As Postmaster, he renamed the town Stanwood for his wife, Clara. Stanwood was her maiden name. The house was built in 1890. It was placed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places in 1973. It is a three-story Second Empire Victorian Home with a mansard roof and roof cresting (or widow’s walk) and is open as a Period House Museum. The story is told in this article (pdf 4 mb) about the history of the D. O. Pearson House.
Little White Church on the Hill,
(Washington State Register of Historic Places, 1972)
The building was completed in 1890 with funds raised by the ladies aid of the congregation which formed about 1882-1884 The church is located about 1/2 mile west of Silvana on Pioneer Highway (just over the bridge) overlooking the scenic Stillaguamish River Valley. For more information
Pioneer Highway, Stanwood.
Martin Zacharias Toftezon (Taftezon) Washington’s first Norwegian settler arrived on Whidbey Island in 1849. Members of his family followed and settled near Hatt Slough (on the Stillaguamish River.)
Hevly Cash Store at Florence, Washington circa 1910. Florence was one of the earliest towns on the Stillaguamish River in Snohomish County. It was platted in 1866 and actively competed with Stanwood (downriver) as a commercial center until the Great Northern Railroad bypassed it and the steamboats could no longer make it up the river. There are only a few residences left it the area and one section of the original store.
Utsalady Ladies Aid Building
The Utsalady Ladies Aid Building was built in 1923. Utsalady is on the northern shoreline of Camano Island in Puget Sound, the site of an early mill. It was and continues to be an important symbolic place as the heart of this small community on Camano Island in Washington State. In 1999 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Camano Pioneer Cemetery,
Located on Hwy 532 at Terry’s Corner Camano Island, Washington
Cama Beach State Park (formerly Cama Beach Resort)
The cabins in the photograph on the right were originally part of the Cama Beach Resort which now the Cama Beach State Park. This large Camano Island resort opened in 1934 and closed officially in 1989. Washington State Parks purchased it in the early 1990’s and it is now being developed as a new State Park. It celebrated its official opening as a State Park on June 21st 2008. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Camano Lutheran Church, Camano Island
Washington State Register of Historic Places
The Camano Lutheran Church was established in 1890 in Utsalady. In 1895, the congregation held services in the Livingston Bay school which was located across the road. That school was bought and moved on site and now is the Pioneer Hall. Construction of this church building began in 1904 and was dedicated July 9, 1906. There is a small plaque near the front door of the old church (east entrance) noting that it is on the State Register of Historic Places.
Now a private residence, this schoolhouse is now on the Washington Heritage Register.
Camano City Schoolhouse, Camano Island, WA
Washington State Register of Historic Places
The traditional white schoolhouse building on the left is now known as the Camano City Community Hall. It overlooks Saratoga Passage on the western shoreline of Camano Island where there once was a shingle mill, store, hotel and a short logging railroad. It was built as the “Camano City” School about 1906. The local lumber company operating in the area at the time, Camano Land and Lumber, deeded it to the Former Island County School Dist #18 in 1911 for $1.00.
The only historic photograph we know of as of today is the one below. We are seeking additional historic photographs of the schoolhouse and any information. You can read more about the preservation of the schoolhouse at the Foundation website.
The Kristoferson Barns, Camano Island,
Washington Heritage Barn Register.
The hay barn in the foreground was built about 1914 and the newer addition was made in 1938. The barns are located on the Kristoferson Farm established about 1912. The family owned the Kristoferson Dairy in Seattle and the Camano farm was managed throughout the years primarily by caretakers. Recently family has taken over the farm again after many years most recently as an alpaca farm. They are restoring the creek, replanting native shrubs and growing organic hay.
Stanwood Fraternal International Order of Odd Fellows Public Hall (IOOF), Stanwood, now the Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center,
(National Register of Historic Places)
Built in 1903, this sturdy timber structure has survived many years to host music, arts and cultural and family events as it once did in the early part of the 20th century. It was completely rehabilitated in order to be preserved. Though not an exact replica, many of the original features were kept and an addition with a kitchen and storage added to make it usable for community and family events in the 21st century.
After checking out the audio and video tours for this years Stanwood and Camano Island Historic Sites Tour, read on below about other building histories – a working list telling our community history through local places.
Stanwood (West side near Stillaguamish riverfront)
First National Bank building (pdf)
Sons of Norway
Hartney’s Style Shop now an antique store
Folly Theater/Central Tavern/Real Estate offices
1929 Fire Station (pdf)
Stanwood Hotel – still the Stanwood Hotel
IOOF Hall – Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center
Pearson Store, now bar/saloon (Loco Billy’s)
Stanwood Hardware & Furniture formerly the Home Center
Bungalow Garage, now Camwood Plaza on Main Street
Presbyterian Church, again a church
Signal Gas Station now and for many years, Glass Tech
Stanwood City Hall
S.A. Thompson House – 1900 AUDIO TOUR Stop #3 The S.A. Thompson House, later known as the Camano Art Center was owned by painter, Frances Trusdell. It is now known as the Stanwood House. She bought the art center home from Theresa and Lester Hagstrom in 1957. A year later Frances sponsored the first outdoor art exhibit which according to the Twin City News attracted 1000 people. Read more
Once the Elite Millinery on our historic brick street.
Other Historic Places in the lower Stillaguamish River Valley and Stanwood include:
People’s Union now Granery (on the tour)
C.J. Gunderson Building [East Stanwood]
N. V. King Building
Mercantile Building & East Stanwood Busy Corner
Rygg Building (formerly Scandia Bakery and a Meat Market)
American Legion Building
Twin City Gun Club (former Stanwood Library building)
Taftezon Memorial and Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church Cemetery, Snohomish County
Camano Island, Island County
Barnum Point Island County Park
Hutchison County Park
Iverson Beach County Park – Shoreline of Livingston Bay and one of the first homesteads on Camano Island
English Boom County Park – Click link for 1972 photograph of the remaining pilings and oil tank platform used in the 1940s by the English Boom Company. Only a few of these pilings remain. The historical display at the park tells of this interesting aspect of the logging and steamboat history of the area. Photograph was taken by local news photographer Howard Hansen.
Utsalady Point Park (Photograph of sign of this pocket park honoring one of the earliest mill communities on Puget Sound)
Leque Island more to read after link (pdf).
Other Historic Places on Camano Island include:
Camano Island Inn (former boarding house/resort/nursing home now b&b)
Elger [Algers] Bay Schoolhouse (private residence)
Camano Pioneer Cemetery
South Camano Grange – Established in 1930.
American Legion Hall
Several family barns