Our Historic brick Main street (270th St) has two of the very few brick buildings in Stanwood. The two brick buildings side by side on the south side of Main street appear as one building but are two.

The east building in the foreground on the right was built as the Citizens Bank in 1920. The Citizens bank company merged with the National Bank of Stanwood in 1921 when the National Bank of Stanwood on Market St moved from its corner location, the banks consolidated to be the First National Bank of Stanwood located in a new building across the street.
The original Citizen’s bank building (10018 270th St NW) was purchased from the bank by Dr. E. G. Wheeler and converted into medical and dental offices. The lot next door was sold to Ed Peterson who built the new building. (Stanwood News, Oct 29, 1931). The tenants that occupied it was first used as the West Coast Telephone Company when it was established soon after 1929 and occupied the building for many years. West Coast Telephone was one of the many independent community telephone companies that operated in small usually rural communities until 1961 when switchboards were no longer needed. In this 2018 photograph it is the location of “Wash & Wear Hair”
