CARS AND QUILTS
AUGUST 26 & 27
New this year is the “In person tour”, antique cars and quilts will be at multiple locations to help tell the stories.
Thanks to Humanities Washington for an Opportunity Grant to support this event and Camano Island Chamber of Commerce, SAAL Brewing Coastal Community Bank and the many donations dropped off in our previous tours!
The Stanwood Area Historical Society is planning a program featuring Richard Hanks “The Men Who Built the Floyd: Stanwood’s Historic Public Hall“.
All the buildings will be open
12 noon -4 pm Friday, August 26th,
10am to 4pm on Saturday, August 27th.
The Stanwood Hotel, one of our oldest buildings still serves beer, food and occasionally has had music. The original building was built shortly after the 1892 fire that destroyed most of the buildings in Stanwood at the time. The Hotel is not officially on our 2020 Historical Sites Tour but It has witnessed floods and many changes since that time. It was a gathering place for businessmen, loggers, millworkers, hunters and the occasional tourist.
It’s first owners named it the “Hotel Cottage Home” according to Allan Anderson. It usually had restaurant that served meals. About 1904-06 it was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Ira Galloupe (Stanwood Story, v. 2 p. 88.) Allan Bartz owned it until 1911 when he went over to East Stanwood and built the Bartz Hotel near the depot. Before 1922 it was on the Pacific Highway until it was re-routed past East Stanwood. The next owners we know of were George Bellow and Chris Papps. They sold at some point to Sverre Landray followed by Thomas and Irene Craig in 1955. In 1961 the Craigs sold it to Mr and Mrs. S. N Benjamin from Seattle. Vicki Tanner owned some time in the 1970s???. In the 1990s it was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Esterbrook.
As always, we are seeking other owners to pull together this building history, Contact us if you know more. (Source: ) )