Join us for Jerry Magelssen’s updated “Historic Camano Barns” Program Oct 20. One of the barns featured will undoubtedly be the Iverson Barn below. Don’t miss it! The barn in the photograph below is the Iverson Barn built in 1913. It was used for crops, hay from the diked fields below. It was demolished in the early 2000s. Part of the original farm is Iverson Trail Preserve.
September is a full month at the Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center. Begin your Historic Sites Tour at the Floyd and see our newly refinished floor in the main hall ! This is the first of a series of FNCC improvement projects planned for the coming years by the Stanwood Area Historical Society to continue to provide historical and cultural events in the community.
The photo on the right shows the Floyd’s main hall from the balcony. The color will be lighter than the previous floor when sanding and refinishing are completed though not quiet as light as it is in this photograph. For the first few decades it was used by and known as the I O O F Hall. The International Order of Odd Fellows held their meetings on the 2nd floor and some of their decorations remain. For the last 15 years the hall has been successfully serving as the community’s cultural center.
New Volunteers always welcome to keep this vital institution alive!
Stanwood newspapers were challenged by the renaming of the town(s) it served over the last century. Originally the Stanwood Press, it was also known as the Twin City News and finally the Stanwood Camano News. Until recently it was locally owned but is now part of large of conglomerate of small newspaper companies all over the country.
Its first news office was typical of 19th century storefronts, this one located on Main Street. In front is Attorney Mitchell who published the paper until the early 1910s when it was taken over by “Olsen and [George] Astel” and later Loren Angevine who owned it until 1930 with G. F. Brown.
In 1931 Brown took over and it was renamed the Twin City News.
In 1939 Brown sold to Horn and Dence who owned it until 1958 when Cliff Danielson took it over in 1958 and who renamed the newspaper the Stanwood
In 1960 with the consolidation of the towns it was renamed the Stanwood News. In 1980 it became the Stanwood Camano News.