Stanwood was once two towns. The original pre-1890s riverfront “town” grew during the 1870s and 1880s at the mouth of the Stillaguamish River. Then when the railroad went through a mile east, a new commercial district formed around the depot referred to as “East Stanwood.” The photos are then and now views of East Stanwood before the commercial buildings were built.
East Stanwood was platted in 1906 but not incorporated until 1922. In the meantime the commercial area we now know grew as the railroad provided more direct transportation than the steamboats that served the original Stanwood near the Twin City Foods area. In the top photo the H&H railroad tracks are visible on the left.
The two story building on the left still exists but was moved to 27122 88th Ave. N.W. It was known as the Peterson Apartments.
The early buildings in the top photo seem much closer to the tracks than they appear in this contemporary view.
By appointment or for more info, call 360-629-6110
Wednesdays and Fridays 1 – 4 pm.