Thank you to all who worked on and contributed to the painting and rehabilitation of the Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center. The north side of the hall was recently restored, repainted and the project is basically complete. We only need to re-hang the sign…and we are ready to rent and begin our programs.
We will officially re-open on Wed August 4th from 1- 4 p.m. and on Saturday August 7th.
From that time will be open both Wednesdays and Saturdays for “Research Wednesdays and Open House Saturdays.”
We will be available for tours or browsing exhibits which are located in the FNCC, The D. O. Pearson House and the Dave Eldridge Center.
COVID19 Guidelines will be observed. Appointments are encouraged.
The Stanwood Area Historical Society owns and operates the D. O. Pearson House, the Eldridge Museum, the Tolin House business office and the Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center.
The house north of the Floyd which is owned by SAHS had been long planned to be removed in hopes of expanding the historical society facilities to better serve our mission. Because of Covid19 our usual income generated from rentals at the Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center which were partially earmarked for this project were drastically diminished. Plans for removal of the house had to be put off once again.
Fortunately SAHS member, Les Anderson, was able to bring together the right businesses willing to help at the right time. “This house demolition donation will make it easier to expand in the future” said Les Anderson, and is necessary because the Society wants to keep our options open for this property site. With so much potential created by freeing up this space, SAHS is appreciative of the donors business’ Omni Contracting Solutions (Tim Murphy), The United Group, and Lenz Enterprises for their commitment to our community and the Stanwood Area Historical Society.
Another interesting thing about this project was that the materials were shipped down to the United Group Snohomish location for further processing and sorting into repurposed landscape or construction materials that will help beautify and build local communities just like Stanwood.
These collaborating companies provided this work at no charge and have finally made it possible to plan for this space to be used to feature future historic exhibits. This dream includes a possible new building that has long been part of a strategic plan. The building would provide more space for our heritage projects and programs to preserve, interpret and enhance the community’s sense of identity through its past. To continue support for SAHS, please visit: https://www.sahs-fncc.org/?page_id=40
Thank you to Bill Keller and Richard Hanks for coordinating and collaborating to hasten our efforts to expand and grow. We are now ready to move on! Thank you to Les Anderson for his creative solution to this long standing problem!
~~~ Karen Prasse, Volunteer/Member SAHS
This view shows North side of 271st St NW in Stanwood looking northwest. From left the buildings are the Granary (distant left, originally known as the People’s Union), an unknown storefront, the N. V. KIng Building (1921), the 1918 Mercantile (behind the telephone pole), a cafe and the Depot Service Station garage with its East Stanwood Busy Corner sign. The cafe and service station burned in 1997. Photograph from the SAHS Collection 1995.28.21.
Some might be aware that Stanwood was once two towns: Stanwood (near river) and “East Stanwood” (near the railroad tracks).
The corner just east of the Stanwood Station had a small gas station with an awning that advertised itself as East Stanwood Busy Corner. It was a popular stop on the Pacific Highway between Everett and points north before Stanwood was bypassed in the 1930s,
In August 1997 the historic buildings that were once the Depot Service Station, a garage and the café (next door) burned in a two alarm fire. The businesses in the buildings at the time were the Eastside Salon, the gift store Emma’s Cottage and the antique shop, Yo Mama’s Attic. Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to other businesses but managed to save the 1918 Mercantile. The owner at the time had to demolish the fire damaged buildings and currently that space is a grassy open space across from the Stanwood Railroad Station. Read on..
The white concrete building is the East Stanwood Mercantile popularly know as the Stubb Mercantile.
When the museum opens again for visits, you can see a small exhibit that displays more photographs of this story but for now, perhaps this property can be the first East Stanwood Busy Corner Park as part of the City of Stanwood’s Main Street Revitalization Program.
The Mercantile. Photo taken in 2003.
The original 1914 East Stanwood Mercantile store business was established by Otto Stubb and Andrew Frederickson. In 1917 Frederickson sold his interest to Otto Stubb but in 1918 the building was destroyed in a fire. The new concrete building that still stands was completed in October 1918. But there could be no grand opening ceremony because of the Influenza epidemic. (Stanwood News Oct 18, 1918). One month later, the Armistice was signed ending World War I. See below…
Opened to the public Oct 19…”The building is certainly a credit to the community … [who] will wish the proprietors, Messrs. Otto Stubb and O. C. Amundson the best of luck…” Stanwood Tidings Oct 18, 1918.