SAHS announces a new book on the history of the Stanwood Camano Island area. Dr. Richard Hanks has researched and compiled this thoughtful and inspiring book on the lives and sacrifices of our local military. There will be a chance to meet the author and purchase a copy on Veteran’s Day at the SAHS Tolin House on November 11th from 10am to 2pm.
All proceeds from the sale on Veterans Day or online at Amazon will go to SAHS. Price will be $21.00 plus tax
Sales will be conducted safely and socially distanced, purchasers must wear masks, no more than 5 people in the Tolin House, it may be necessary to wait in your car.
The Stanwood Hotel, one of our oldest buildings still serves beer, food and occasionally has had music. The original building was built shortly after the 1892 fire that destroyed most of the buildings in Stanwood at the time. The Hotel is not officially on our 2020 Historical Sites Tour but It has witnessed floods and many changes since that time. It was a gathering place for businessmen, loggers, millworkers, hunters and the occasional tourist.
It’s first owners named it the “Hotel Cottage Home” according to Allan Anderson. It usually had restaurant that served meals. About 1904-06 it was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Ira Galloupe (Stanwood Story, v. 2 p. 88.) Allan Bartz owned it until 1911 when he went over to East Stanwood and built the Bartz Hotel near the depot. Before 1922 it was on the Pacific Highway until it was re-routed past East Stanwood. The next owners we know of were George Bellow and Chris Papps. They sold at some point to Sverre Landray followed by Thomas and Irene Craig in 1955. In 1961 the Craigs sold it to Mr and Mrs. S. N Benjamin from Seattle. Vicki Tanner owned some time in the 1970s???. In the 1990s it was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Esterbrook.
As always, we are seeking other owners to pull together this building history, Contact us if you know more. (Source: ) )
Click to enlarge.
The news-clipping reproduction on the left shows a photograph of the original Stanwood Town Hall presumably built when Stanwood incorporated in 1903 but perhaps earlier. It faced the same direction (north) as the front entrance on Irvine (270th) as the current City Hall.
At the time, there was no S. R. 532. It had three houses behind it which were replaced by 532.
According to the 1910 Anderson Plat book of Snohomish County, there was a jail behind this building and it was labeled “Court Room and Jail”.
Oliver was the first homesteader here whose land became Stanwood. Irvine owned the Thompson House before S. A. Thompson and had a ranch just east of the Oliver land.
The “new/current” Stanwood City Hall building was completed in 1936 and was a special project of 5-term Mayor Charles Dockendorf. It was partially funded by the Work Progress Administration (WPA). In 1944 it was paid off “with virtually no extra cost to the taxpayers, representing an investment of about $20,000.” (Twin City News, Jan 6, 1944)
Stanwood City Hall, 2012; In 2012 Stanwood made many interior and exterior improvements with assistance and planning by Dave Eldridge, Rebecca Lind, Pearl Schaar, and Mayor Dianne White. Contractors included Tom Regney of Snohomish and Pioneer Masonry of Seattle repairing and sealing cracks in the stucco and repainting.
In 1939 the Crown Prince Olav and Queen Marthe visited the United States. They stopped in Stanwood to place a wreath at the memorial for their Norwegian emigrant who came to the United States.
Taftezon Memorial and Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church Cemetery, Snohomish County – 1849
Zacharias Martin Taftezon and his family came from Trondelag, Troms and Finnmark area of northern Norway. After learning the shoemaking trade in Germany and returning to Norway to find life not to his liking, he traveled via England to New Orleans and then on to the Pacific Coast in search of a better life. He sailed up to Whidbey Island and landed in what is now Oak Harbor with two other men in December 1849 or January 1850. It was paradise to him. He adapted well to life here and was a friend to many. He liked it so well that many in his family came to join him.
For more information on his amazing journey,
see the Historylink.org article
and check out the other stories and sites on the 2020 Stanwood Camano Historic Sites Tour.
The Memorial is not officially on the tour, but it is place to go if you are interested.
There is also a walking tour in Oak Harbor waterfront that includes a little of his history there.