Stanwood’s Historic Presbyterian built in 1906 has come full circle and become a church again.
Built in 1906, The new Tidelands Church has brought this building back to life. And it is recognized as one of the historic places in Stanwood’s Historic Plaque program.
According to the “Stanwood Story” the Presbyterian congregation was organized in 1906. Their building was dedicated in 1909 and the first pastor was Rev. W. A. Couden. A few years later in 1915, there was a popular new pastor, H.T. Murray who also provided services to a Camano Island congregation at the Camano Schoolhouse. In 1931 the building was purchased by the Assembly of God, a non-denominational church with Rev. J. C. Patey the pastor (Oct 15, 1931 Twin City News). It had several owners and renters, in 1953 it was known as the Twin City Gospel Chapel. It was sold to the Eagles when the stained glass window was removed. And in 1972 it was purchased from the Eagles by noted Pacific Northwest / Skagit Valley painter, Richard Gilkey (Stanwood News, Dec 13, 1972).
There is more to learn about this building history and we will be working on it…help is always welcome.