The photo above shows two of Stanwood’s historic buildings on Main Street.
Main Street is one of the few brick streets left in Snohomish County and the street itself is historic!
The “First National Bank” building on the right was built in 1930 when the original brick Bank of Stanwood outgrew its original location. It had several owners since 1967 when it moved again and is now the First National Professional Center.
The Antique store (brick building on the left) was long known as Hartney’s Style Shop. The building was built by Jeremiah Hartney in 1925. He came to Stanwood in 1906 as a tailor and had a shop on Market Street in his early business years. Hartney died in 1945. Clyde Tolin managed the shop until his death in 1948 and according to the Stanwood Story (v.3 p. 31) it was sold to George Hammer and operated by Bill Bradford. Women’s wear was brought to store in the 1960s Bradford sold it to Ken and Audrey Carlson in 1974. It went out of business in October of 1997 after Ken Carlson died.
In 1967 the National Bank of Stanwood moved back to its original corner and merged with the Bank of Stanwood. Through a series of mergers and owner changes, the Bank of Stanwood and the National Bank of Stanwood became part of Seafirst Bank which was ultimately (in 1998) acquired by Bank of America. Along this timeline, the National Bank of East Stanwood was also part of the complicated series of mergers and acquisitions of the local banks.