{"id":1582,"date":"2019-04-02T20:58:54","date_gmt":"2019-04-02T20:58:54","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/?p=1582"},"modified":"2025-10-18T17:58:13","modified_gmt":"2025-10-18T17:58:13","slug":"historic-gas-stations","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/?p=1582","title":{"rendered":"Historic Gas Stations"},"content":{"rendered":"<div id=\"attachment_1905\" style=\"width: 1338px\" class=\"wp-caption alignleft\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" aria-describedby=\"caption-attachment-1905\" class=\"wp-image-1905 size-full\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/glasstech2003_008cropt-e1554925736220.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"1328\" height=\"521\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/glasstech2003_008cropt-e1554925736220.jpg 1328w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/glasstech2003_008cropt-e1554925736220-300x118.jpg 300w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/glasstech2003_008cropt-e1554925736220-768x301.jpg 768w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/glasstech2003_008cropt-e1554925736220-1024x402.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/glasstech2003_008cropt-e1554925736220-624x245.jpg 624w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 1328px) 100vw, 1328px\" \/><p id=\"caption-attachment-1905\" class=\"wp-caption-text\">Glass Tech building about 2003<\/p><\/div>\n<p>&nbsp;<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"wp-image-1584 size-medium alignleft\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/963001sp450-300x203.jpg\" alt=\"Signal Gas Station\" width=\"300\" height=\"203\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/963001sp450-300x203.jpg 300w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/963001sp450.jpg 450w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px\" \/><\/p>\n<div id=\"attachment_1700\" style=\"width: 310px\" class=\"wp-caption alignright\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" aria-describedby=\"caption-attachment-1700\" class=\"wp-image-1700 size-medium\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20104009cropt-300x200.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"300\" height=\"200\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20104009cropt-300x200.jpg 300w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20104009cropt.jpg 600w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px\" \/><p id=\"caption-attachment-1700\" class=\"wp-caption-text\">Image donated by a member of the Pearson Family who lived across the street. 2010.40.09<\/p><\/div>\n<p>The window company <em>Glass Tech<\/em> has been at corner of 271st and 102nd NW (west side of Stanwood) since about 1997.\u00a0 This building and location once served travelers along the Old Pacific Highway (before I-5) .<br \/>\nBefore 1924 or so the Old Pacific Highway once wound through the Stillaguamish River Valley towards East Stanwood across the railroad tracks. From the East Stanwood the road went west as it does now toward the waterfront that was the original Stanwood town.\u00a0 At the corner of 102nd and 271st NW it is said there was a Red Lion Gilmore Gas station that also provided automotive services.\u00a0 We have little information on this era of the building though the 1918 Sanborn plat map shows the buiiding footprint at this location much as it is today with its storage building in the back.<\/p>\n<p>Manser Wangsness took it over in about 1933 on the rented land from Helen McDougall O&#8217;Melia. It was at that time known as the Signal Gas Station.\u00a0 Manser Wangsness was proprietor until about 1960 and it was locally referred to as Wangsness station or the Stanwood Station.<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-medium wp-image-4729 alignleft\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/sherkSignalGas-300x92.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"300\" height=\"92\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/sherkSignalGas-300x92.jpg 300w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/sherkSignalGas-1024x316.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/sherkSignalGas-768x237.jpg 768w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/sherkSignalGas-1536x473.jpg 1536w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/sherkSignalGas-624x192.jpg 624w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/sherkSignalGas.jpg 2048w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px\" \/>According to this little ad from the Twin City News in 1948 there was also a auto repair service at this location known as Lee&#8217;s Auto Repair operated by Levi Sherk. <a href=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/1948_03_18LeeAutoRepair4209bwcropt.jpg\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"alignright size-medium wp-image-2290\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/1948_03_18LeeAutoRepair4209bwcropt-159x300.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"159\" height=\"300\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/1948_03_18LeeAutoRepair4209bwcropt-159x300.jpg 159w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/1948_03_18LeeAutoRepair4209bwcropt-542x1024.jpg 542w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/1948_03_18LeeAutoRepair4209bwcropt-624x1180.jpg 624w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/04\/1948_03_18LeeAutoRepair4209bwcropt.jpg 660w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 159px) 100vw, 159px\" \/><\/a><\/p>\n<div id=\"attachment_1701\" style=\"width: 660px\" class=\"wp-caption alignright\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" aria-describedby=\"caption-attachment-1701\" class=\"wp-image-1701 size-full\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416cropt.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"650\" height=\"437\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416cropt.jpg 650w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416cropt-300x202.jpg 300w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416cropt-624x420.jpg 624w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 650px) 100vw, 650px\" \/><p id=\"caption-attachment-1701\" class=\"wp-caption-text\">1964 or 1965 view of the Flying A gas station era. Image donated by then owner&#8217;s daughter. 2015_04<\/p><\/div>\n<div id=\"attachment_1702\" style=\"width: 310px\" class=\"wp-caption alignright\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" aria-describedby=\"caption-attachment-1702\" class=\"wp-image-1702 size-medium\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416-3cropt-300x157.jpg\" alt=\"Image of Flying A gas station in 1964 or 65. 2010_40_09 \" width=\"300\" height=\"157\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416-3cropt-300x157.jpg 300w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416-3cropt-624x326.jpg 624w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/20150416-3cropt.jpg 629w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px\" \/><p id=\"caption-attachment-1702\" class=\"wp-caption-text\">Image of Flying A gas station in 1964 or 65. 2010_40_09<\/p><\/div>\n<p>In 1964 it became known as the Signal Gas station and auto repair service and operated by Dick Aldrich.\u00a0 From the photographs it appears he added the garage on the north side of the building.\u00a0 In 1972 Howard Moffet opened How D Glass in this building. An article in the Stanwood News Dec 27 1972 says that by then the hand pumps had disappeared. Moffet began in the glass business in Lynnwood before moving to Stanwood in 1971.\u00a0 (How D Glass moved to another location nearby some time before 1981.)<\/p>\n<p>&nbsp;<\/p>\n<p>In about 1981 it was a Steve\u2019s VW Service. Another early business in the building was Bingo Auto Polish and in 1997 Glass Tech operated by Susan and Aaron James took it over though the property is leased by an owner who purchased in 2002.\u00a0 Please don&#8217;t hesitate to contact us if you know more about this building.<\/p>\n<div id=\"attachment_1583\" style=\"width: 310px\" class=\"wp-caption alignright\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" aria-describedby=\"caption-attachment-1583\" class=\"wp-image-1583 size-medium\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/IMG_20180602_163228025SignalCropt-300x113.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"300\" height=\"113\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/IMG_20180602_163228025SignalCropt-300x113.jpg 300w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/IMG_20180602_163228025SignalCropt-768x290.jpg 768w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/IMG_20180602_163228025SignalCropt-1024x386.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2018\/09\/IMG_20180602_163228025SignalCropt-624x235.jpg 624w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px\" \/><p id=\"caption-attachment-1583\" class=\"wp-caption-text\">Glass Tech &#8211; Gas Station turned window company, 2018.<\/p><\/div>\n<div id=\"attachment_1698\" style=\"width: 497px\" class=\"wp-caption alignleft\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" aria-describedby=\"caption-attachment-1698\" class=\"wp-image-1698 size-full\" src=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/IMG_20190106_120749378glasstech600-e1554925907102.jpg\" alt=\"Current Glass Tech building.\" width=\"487\" height=\"211\" srcset=\"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/IMG_20190106_120749378glasstech600-e1554925907102.jpg 487w, https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/01\/IMG_20190106_120749378glasstech600-e1554925907102-300x130.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 487px) 100vw, 487px\" \/><p id=\"caption-attachment-1698\" class=\"wp-caption-text\">Current Glass Tech building.<\/p><\/div>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>&nbsp; The window company Glass Tech has been at corner of 271st and 102nd NW (west side of Stanwood) since about 1997.\u00a0 This building and location once served travelers along the Old Pacific Highway (before I-5) . Before 1924 or so the Old Pacific Highway once wound through the Stillaguamish River Valley towards East Stanwood [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":0,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[14,15,7],"tags":[],"class_list":["post-1582","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","hentry","category-historic-plaque-program","category-historic-sites-tour","category-historical-places"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1582","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcomments&post=1582"}],"version-history":[{"count":10,"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1582\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":4730,"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1582\/revisions\/4730"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fmedia&parent=1582"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcategories&post=1582"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.sahs-fncc.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Ftags&post=1582"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}