Happy Thanksgiving !
Sixty years ago, the Williams Turkey Farm was among the few agricultural businesses on the Island. It is remembered by many local residents, please send us your stories of this or any local Camano Island or Stanwood business!
100 years ago (1917) young local resident Edward S. Christiansen, a resourceful young techie of his day, was discovered eavesdropping on official radio messages using a wireless [radio]. This was near the end of World War I and the military was understandably concerned.
Officials from the Puget Sound Navy shipyard sent the Snohomish County Sheriff to Camano Island to investigate. They found Edward’s wireless radio set and antenna in a tree near Triangle Cove. Read the article below for more details.
Edward lived to the age of 92 as a farmer, plumber and mechanic on Camano Island. He left school after the 6th grade. He apparently never married and lived his whole life on Camano Island. His name was actually spelled “Christiansen” according to records. He was born in September 1897 in Ballard, WA and died April 1989 on Camano Island.
And if anyone has anything to add to this please contact SAHS.
Seattle Times article retrieved using Seattle Public Library cardholder access to the Historical Seattle Times Database – sincere thanks to SPL.org for this service!
Join us for this Sunday’s (9/17) H & H Program featuring the life story of the intrepid Swedish American pioneer, Peter Henning.
Henning (1868-1955) was one of our colorful and influencial pioneers who settled in and helped develop the community known as East Stanwood. His career included experience as a Yukon Gold Rush entrepreneur, railroad and road builder, logger, farmer, and millworker. He was influential in the development of the East Stanwood school district of the day, the early banks, the Snohomish County Roads Commision and the Stevens Pass Highway Assn.
Enduring many hardships and setbacks he still led a life of hard work with many more successful accomplishments.
The program features a DVD presentation highlighting the story told in the book.
Refreshments include appetizers and desserts served with coffee, tea, and sparkling juice and wine. Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center.
The Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company (built in 1914), later known as the Carnation Milk (1916) was a major employer in East Stanwood and the surrounding area. It was later a vegetable cannery with a succession of owners and operators. This photograph and others like it made popular postcards featuring the attractions and the economic viability of the Stanwood and East Stanwood area.
We had hoped to get a now photograph from the hillside to repeat it more effectively but it wasn’t possible.
But this shows the building now from across the street. It is not clear exactly what changes were made but we think the building on the left is now gone and the North Star Cold Storage now occupies a remodeled facility in the same footprint. See the aerial below. (If you click on the images they will enlarge for a closer view.) Later occupied by Bozeman Canning (about 1933) followed by Stokely Van Camp PIctsweet vegetable processing.
The two views below of the D. O. Pearson House backyard were taken between 80 – 100 years apart. The pear tree in the lower contemporary (July 2017) view is the same tree as the one in the historical (circa 1929) photograph. This comparison reveals to us also how little about the house has changed. The porch window has been closed in and it appears there were two back doors.
The building behind the back section is long gone. See previous post for info on the repair of these 100+ year windows and history of the house in newsletter Echoes no. 21
This digital image was donated by a Pearson Family descendant who owns the rest of collection.
If you’ve driven by the D. O. Pearson House recently you might have noticed some of the windows boarded up. Thanks to 2016 Giving Tuesday donations and a Snohomish County Community Heritage Grant this year we are able to repair or “refurbish” the leaking old Pearson House windows to avoid costly replacement. This helps us retain the character of the historic building which has now survived over a century.
The twelve windows were made of cedar and they have withstood a century of weather and not rotted. But old putty was replaced where necessary to seal them and they have been repainted. To do the job correctly, they must be removed, repaired off-site and re-installed.
They return secure and cleaner brightening up the rooms with light. And once again they can slide up and down to open.
They can be held open with pins in hot weather. They slide much better now even without pulleys, ropes and sash weights that provide a smooth sliding counter balance in later double hung windows. Some of them also have unusual interesting decorative locks and catches.
Repairing wood windows can be cost effective and energy efficient so if you are considering replacing old wood windows, consider repairing them. For more information on how to proceed, click here. And here “Top Ten Reasons to Restore or Repair Wood Windows.
The windows are original to the house. We are lucky to find someone with the special skills and patience to work with the windows so we didn’t have to replace them. The Window King company, specifically, Jeff Zoloth, has 20+ years of experience refurbishing historic windows currently including the Macy’s building in Seattle. See his website for more examples of historic preservation projects he has worked on throughout Western Washington.
Stanwood’s Annual Spring Tea Set for April 29th
The Sixth Annual Spring Tea and Vintage Fashion Exhibit will be held on Saturday April 29, 2017 from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. with tea served at 1:30. As in past years, the venue will be the Stanwood Area Historical Society’s Floyd Norgaard Cultural Hall in Stanwood at 27130 102nd Ave.
Tickets are $20.00 and prepaid reservations are required by April 21st.
The Tea will be honoring some of Stanwood’s dynamic women leaders, such as Carrie Wang, Belle Keitel and Anna Hanson Stubb. Everyone is invited to share their memories of these very capable women.
A refreshed “Waistlines and Hemlines” exhibit will be open for viewing and will include, this year, a display of uniforms and stories of veterans from the greater Stanwood area.
Raffle baskets and a silent auction are part of the festivities and prizes will be given for the best hat and vintage outfit.
Stanwood’s Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center will be the Welcome Center for Camano Island’s Historic Sites tour March 25th and 26th.
Maps and information on the Island’s sites will be available at the Center between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. The entire complex, owned by the Stanwood Area Historical Society, will be open during this time, highlighting exhibits in the Pearson house and SAHS museums and including a new Veteran’s display in honor of the memorial being planned by the SAHS.
In addition the Floyd will feature historic and cultural organizations from the greater area which will provide information and crafts of their respective groups. These include book signings by local historians, Stanwood’s Park and Trails Commission, the League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations, the Stanwood House, the Camano Quilter’s Guild, Josephine Caring Community as well as the Stillaguamish Tribe and Tulalip Tribes of Native Americans. Homemade soups and treats will also be available for sale before visitors begin their trek of the Island. Passports noting visits to the various sites will be available at the Floyd. The passports can also be dropped off at the Floyd for those participating in drawings for prizes.
The Floyd is easily accessible at 27108 102nd Ave NW (Market Street), two blocks off State Highway 532. A great day of exploring Camano Island begins with a preliminary visit to the Floyd in Stanwood.