Over the last 20 years we have written articles in response to questions from our visitors, volunteers and members. Most of them were published in the Stanwood Area Echoes, our published quarterly newsletter. Some of the issues and articles appear below.
If you appreciate these, please make a donation to the Stanwood Area Historical Society to support management of its collections, programs, publications and exhibits. [Special thanks to volunteer Robin Hanks who has committed to keeping a regular schedule of producing this newsletter]
Many of these files are 8 mb or more so they will take a bit of time to download.
- Stanwood Area Echoes Winter 2018 no. 57 Prohibition, stills, moonshine, bootlegging.b
- Stanwood Area Echoes Fall 2017 No. 56 World War I history – Hero Soldier Joseph Bruseth
- Stanwood Area Echoes Spring 2017 No. 55 Family History of the Esary and Garrisons who were among the first Camano Island loggers. Early Baseball photograph.
- Stanwood Area Echoes Spring 2017 No. 54 William McDougall Family of Norman and the story of the Hero Tree at the Washington Pavilion of the 1893 Columbia Exposition.
- Stanwood Area Echoes Winter 2017 No.53 – Stanwood, Matterand Farm, Native Americans
- Stanwood Area Echoes Fall 2016 No.52 Gerhard Lane, World War II, Stanwood Shipyards
- Stanwood Area Echoes 2016 no. 51 Milltown, Alice McKean Davison
- Stanwood Area Echoes 2016 no. 50 Fred Rhoades, Pearson Family History
- Stanwood Area Echoes Winter 2016 no. 49 – Roald Amundsen, Norwegian explorer, visits Stanwood
- Stanwood Area Echoes Fall 2015 No. 48 – American Legion Post 92, Frederick Eglinton
- Stanwood Area Echoes Summer 2015 no. 47_web “The Silent Sentinels of Camano Island” (Article stumps and forest fires on Camano Island)
- Stanwood Area Echoes Spring 2015 no. 46_web “O.B. Iverson and the Road Not Taken”
- Stanwood Area Echoes Winter 2015 no. 45 (pdf – 8 mb) Cable ferry between Stanwood and Leque Island
- Stanwood Area Echoes Fall 2014 no. 44 Berge Lee – A Veteran’s Story, Murphy’s Folly (Bridge on I-5)
- Stanwood Area Echoes no. 43 – Hatt Slough Bridge collapse in flood of 1924
- Stanwood Area Echoes no 42 – History of Bryant
- Stanwood Area Echoes no. 32 – Mystery of Milltown
- Stanwood Area Echoes no. 28 – Short Life of the Oyster Industry of Stanwood Camano
- Stanwood Area Echoes no. 26 article about moving the Stanwood Public Library
- D.O. Pearson House History Echoes 2002 no. 21 (pdf)
- Cedarhome History Echoes 2001 no. 19 (pdf)
- Anderson Mansion History Echoes 1999, no. 16 (pdf)
- Railroad History Echoes 1993, no. 6 of the Stanwood Area including the H & H Railroad story.