The Pastime Confectionary

In 1906, East Stanwood was platted near the new depot (now the Stanwood Station).  At the time it was a mile east of the original Stanwood which was located by the river.  For context, this was 15 years after the Great Northern Railroad began providing transportation using rail replacing steamboats to the waterfront.

One of the earliest of the buildings built near the depot was the Pastime Confectionary building (now known as the Stanwood Grill 8628 271st St).  There were many “confectioneries” all over the country which provided candy, tobacco, hair and cleaning products and basic sundries necessary for travelers and residents.  Some were even called “Pastime” as was the one on Olympic St in Arlington which also had a “card room”.  They seemed to serve the purpose the convenience stores do now.

In its early years the Pastime was interesting for its “lack of dignity” and was usually avoided by some members of the community. Yet the building has survived over 110 years.  Originally it  was divided into two storefronts with a barber shop on the east side that has since been incorporated into the current restaurant.

The Bartz Hotel on left with the Pastime in center. The Rygg Building is on the right.

The Pastime Confectionary and Pool Room started in 1907 selling cigars, tobacco, fruits, soft drinks, Royal Ice Cream, candles etc. It was built by Iver Johnson.  According to a 1909 Polk Directory, it’s earliest proprietor was John Johnson of Stanwood who soon turned it over to Ed Edlund. Both left to work in the mills as they started up again.  Ed Edlund’s brother, Oscar Edlund, purchased the Pastime in about 1914 at the beginning of World War I and in 1916 prohibition went into effect in Washington State (three years before the rest of the country).  The local news wrote the following in special news supplement featuring local businesses and businessmen.

“A Visit to East Stanwood would not be complete without calling on Pastime Confectionary and Billiard Hall, owned and managed by Messrs. Ed and Oscar Edlund.  This store has been established two years and is one of the successful business places of the town.  Cigars, tobacco, fruits, soft drinks, Royal ice cream, and a stock of choice candies … Good pool tables are also in evidence, and if you sometimes roll the ivories you will find the Pastime a place you will feel at home and also know that you are in a respectable amusement resort. “    (Stanwood News Achievement Number 1916 Special Edition)

In 1936 the Eastside Tavern was built between the Pastime and the Pure Food Market/Bartz Hotel. (Eastside later became the Wishing Well and now is the Boxcar.)

In 1922 East Stanwood incorporated as a separate town and it began to grow.  In 1933 when when prohibition was repealed Edlund decided to make it a bar though it is hard to imagine the pool room without a bit of whiskey in stock in spite of prohibition. In 1936 county records indicate that the Eastside Tavern was somehow squeezed in between the Pastime and the Pure Food Market (remodeled Bartz Hotel Dinning room at the time.)
In 1941 Axel Krogstad became a partner. Presumably it was still a pool room or card room and one source said they also played pinochle.  Mr. Krogstad was later on the East Stanwood City Council and discontinued his connection with the business.

“The Old West look comes to Stanwood, Oct 25, 1972 Stanwood News.

According to 1972 article Edlund brought in new manager-partners Roy and son Dick Davis who remodeled the business with a cowboy western theme and renamed it the Buckboard Tavern.  

 

 

 

 

 

A 1981 photo of the building when it was the Sundowner Tavern which had live music and dancing on Friday and Saturday nights.  The barber shop is on the left and Eastside Tavern is on the far left.

It was also know as the “Sundowner” according to a 1981 phone book.  In 1982 the name of the business changed again to the Buckboard is listed in the phone books until about 1983 and it disappears from advertising until 1994 when it is listed as the Scoreboard Bar and Grill and possibly KJ’s(?)

New owners took over in 1997 and in 1998 the Everett Herald reviewed the Stanwood Pub and Grill as a “recently restored space which for years housed a somewhat funky watering hole called the Scoreboard.  At some point before 2001 the separate barbershop became part of the main tavern and restaurant.

Former Pastime Confectionary, built in 1907 according to County records now the Stanwood Grill, 2020

New owners in 2001 continued the name as the Stanwood Grill.

As usual with our building histories, we welcome information about the buildings and their stories, contact us if you are willing to share!  For more background, join us after Sept 17th for the 2020 Historic Sites Tour of Stanwood and Camano Island.

Compiled by Karen Prasse, ever searching for more details…especially in writing or even photos….