SAHS General Meeting & Election
Thursday September 22nd • 6 p.m.
There will be a complimentary barbeque served courtesy of the SAHS Board at 6 pm followed by the Annual Meeting about 7-ish. The meeting will include elections to the Board and Reports on SAHS accomplishments over the last year and details on plans for the future. At the Floyd.
Historical Photograph Calendar 2017 – Available now.
Sunday, September 18th
Open House • Tour the New and Updated Museum Exhibits in Museum behind the D. O Pearson House
1 – 4 p.m.
Hors d’oeuvres & History
Norway Night • 4 – 6 p.m.
Sunday, September 18th
Join us for Norwegian desserts and refreshments while hearing Norwegian pioneer family histories and short presentations on the Norwegian influence on Stanwood and vicinity.
Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center
We are speculating but assume this sign probably was made for Hwy 99 promoting Stanwood and East Stanwood, [more below]
This photograph was among several photographs donated by Shirley Danielson probably used in the Stanwood NEWs. We haven’t yet found an article documenting this effort in community development. For those new to the community, Stanwood and East Stanwood were once two towns who had a healthy rivalry but occasionally came together for a common purpose such as promotion of the area. The name of the local food processing company, Twin City Foods references this historic era and retains its historic name. For more on the story, find copies of the Stanwood Story by Alice Essex, check with us for copies and more information. Click here for an online article. Please Contact us if you know more about the folks who might be in the photograph or anything about the occasion.
Update – the photograph was published in the June 3 1948 issue of the Twin City News :
“…sign personally built and painted by members of the Junior Chamber of Commerce at the farmhome of Arne Lervik….and erected on the west side of Highway 99 just south of the Heichel Bros garage at Davis Corner. Photo by F. Templeton…..members shown are Bob Seabury and Lee Bloom, Dean Sill, Calvin Templeton, Oscar Hansen, Fred Tiffany, and Herman Baalson, Ray Ronnestad and Arne Lervick….”
Visit our new exhibits on the 4th of July. Photograph is of an early parade in front of the Stanwood bakery that was on Main Street (brick street, 270th NW)
Many of our exhibits have been undergoing extensive revisions and some are completely new. Our museum behind the Pearson House has new display hanging systems and exhibit lighting (completely LED) thanks to a Snohomish County Community Heritage grant in received in 2015.
Please make an appointment for a tour with one of our board members or volunteers to lead you through the changes. If you come by during our open hours and we have no one available, please make an appointment. We welcome new volunteers, especially people who would like to learn more history and share it as a tour guide. We will match you up with someone to learn from, contact us.
D. O. Pearson House – Historic home of Stanwood’s first mayor. Maintained as a Victorian Period Home.
Includes Miniature Dollhouses – Third floor, Pearson House
Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center – Historic Fraternal Hall used as event space with museum exhibit featured on the third floor. The last few years have featured Waistlines & Hemlines Fashion and Vintage Women’s Clothing Exhibit.
Stanwood Camano Area Museum
- Stanwood High Schools’ Class Picture Project – Museum ramp
- Market & Main Street History in Pictures – Museum ramp
- East Stanwood History in Pictures – Museum ramp
- Early Stanwood / Camano Area Fabric Art — Sewn by Camano Island Quilters & designed by Jack Gunter – – Museum 2nd Floor
- The Story of the Stanwood Waterfront – Stillaguamish River and aerial views of historic Stanwood. – Museum 2nd Floor
- The Stories Maps Tell – A Cartographer’s View of Port Susan, Stanwood Area and Camano Island. – Museum 2nd Floor
- Country Schools and Town Schools – Photographs of Stanwood Area Historic Schools – Museum Stair Display area
And there is more to follow soon !
One hundred years ago in Stanwood the “Stanwood Tidings” (the local newspaper) compiled a special Issue featuring the Achievements in this community by local businesses and institutions. At this time the first world war was changing the face of Europe and in Everett four men died in the Everett Masscre in a labor riot blamed on the I. W.W.
Wisconsin Timber Co. that became Clough Lumber Co., 1923 then Hamilton Lumber.
Railroad tracks along the wharf to load timber & sawdust onto steamers or barges. Giant burner used to generate power for electric company in early years. It was located along Stillaguamish River waterfront and Irvine Slough. Photographer : John T. Wagness. [see the book “Stanwood Story”, v. 2, p. 4, 22, 32, 38 for the rest of the story]
In Stanwood, business was booming. Both The Stanwood Lumber Company and the Wisconsin Timber companies (opened Dec 1916) dominated the waterfront.
The community near the depot referred to as East Stanwood had formed a Commercial Club and would soon incorporate in 1922 as a separate town. Streets were being paved with bricks and the Pacific Highway was just being built.
Photographer: Charles Terry. Click the image to see a larger version.
Paul Dorpat, Seattle historical photograph expert shared this photograph with the Stanwood Area Historical Society many years ago. He is a collector of vintage photographs of places in Washington State.
The Camano Island Chamber of Commerce recently updated its Camano Gateway sign at the fork in the road (State Route 532). But this directory shows several now historical places, businesses, resorts, beaches, etc. Note the prominent landmark location referring to Terry’s Corner. This corner used to refer to the intersection of North Camano Drive and Sunrise Blvd which is why there are so many trees in the distance on the hillside behind the sign. There was a stop sign there as there is now. The right turn takes you to Utsalady and the left turn takes you south. This photograph was taken before the fork was put in the State Highway Dept in the 1960s so the photograph would be dated some time in the 1950s or early 60s. It was located at the time at the stop sign intersection beyond the current gateway Camano Island Chamber of Commerce building because S. R. 532 to the south end had not yet bypassed that intersection.
The name of the photographer has been identified as Charles Terry, the owner of the property at the time. The 1932 Kroll map clipping shows that at the time it belonged to William Terry, Charles father. For more on this history, see the book Camano Island Images of America (Arcadia Publishing, 2006.
If you have information that would further date this photograph, such as the dates that Seashell Café existed, please let us know! Contact us.
One way to tell history is to feature historic places or buildings. Every place has a past and it is good to be reminded of it occasionally. The American Legion building on 88th Ave NW (north of Rite Aide) has an interesting story. Its unusual mission style stucco makes it very unique for the area. It was built in 1940 as the East Stanwood City Hall and civic center. It was planned with a large auditorium and annex for commercial club and smaller meetings, a council chamber, modern kitchen, fully equipped, a stage, men’s and women’s rest rooms, cloak rooms and an entrance lobby.
American Legion Post
The Legion Hall (former city hall) was built under the direction of the Works Progress Administration (W. P. A.) with a government allotment of $11,775 and a 30 mill levy furnishing the balance for a total of $19,176. For those who are not aware, this part of town was then called East Stanwood and was separately incorporated from Stanwood, which was the area north of the current Twin City Foods.
Juleen photograph of the East Stanwood Commercial Club that ran East Stanwood before it incorporated.
This building replaced the former two-story East Stanwood Commercial Club building on that site which burned in July of 1938. The fire was fought by both the East Stanwood and Stanwood fire departments. The late Harold Klett remembers being thrown from the roof of the hall when fighting the fire. The pressure of the hose he was carrying suddenly catapulted him off his feet and he was slightly injured.
This early Commercial Club building was built in 1920 to “function as a force in fostering a better and higher community spirit. It was to function as a social and recreational center to help knit the community in a more closely related spirit of cooperation. Hundreds in the community have attended dances given in the Yankee ballroom—the name given to the dance room.” (East Stanwood Sun, July 28, 1938) At that time there was much dissention in the community over the operation of the schools and other amenities and two years later East Stanwood, the area around the railroad depot, would incorporate as a separate town. Some of the early story of the Commercial Club is recounted in The Stanwood Story by Alice Essex (vol. 2, pp. 27-29, 32,44,46, 58, 60 & 84.)
In 1960, the two towns consolidated because of the need to pool funds for a sewage system and other public works. Two years later the City Hall building was sold to the American Legion for $10,500. The Hall is still an active community organization, known as the Frank Hancock Post No. 92 of the American Legion.
Updated from Stanwood Area Echoes #24 article published in 2003.
Francis Giard, First Mayor of East Stanwood, 1922 – 1931
The City of Stanwood is planning to create a gallery of portrait type photographs of the Mayors of Stanwood and East Stanwood to be on “permanent” display at City Hall. They have asked us for their help. The City has some photographs of recent mayors but some past mayors are missing. And we (SAHS collections) have a few to add.
D. O. Pearson, First Mayor of Stanwood, 1903 – 1905, 1912-1915
But to complete the gallery, we are taking the unusual step in asking the public to help us locate copies of portrait type of photographs from this list (pdf).
Can you help?
Here is small group of photographs of past mayors in the SAHS collections.
The Camano Island Cornet Band was one of the popular local bands that played community events. Judging by the style of photo and other details, they played around 1910.
These bandsmen pictured in this special photographic postcard are Lester Nelson, Arthur Einarsen, Harold Knutsen, Oscar Bodine, Ernest Einarsen, Sophus Borreson, Levi Thompson, Olaf Knutsen, Carl Land, Pete Wold and T.W. Magelssen. They are perhaps not unlike the current South End String Band scheduled to play Feb 7th at the Floyd.
Not much is known about them, so if you have information about them, please let us know! The names were listed in the “Stanwood Story” by Alice Essex, v. 2 p. 100
Christmas toys were a bit different in 1938 – these presents were collected and repaired for poor children in Stanwood and the surrounding area. The men in the photograph are Phillip Olsen, Hugo Fischer, Tom Hendershot, Harold Benjamin and Lawrence Stovner.